Oadby and Wigston has the most ethnically diverse population in the county.
The borough has one of the highest percentages of Asian and British Asian Indian residents in England and Wales, and has fewer white British people than Leicestershire as a whole, excluding the city.
Nearly one in five residents – 18 per cent – said on the 2011 Census that they were Indian, a total of 10,000 people and an increase of six per cent since 2001.
Some 71 per cent of borough residents are white British, compared to 89 per cent in the county as a whole. The other 11 per cent of people in the county are comprised of people who are white but not British, mixed race, African, Caribbean or Asian. It has the sixth highest percentage of Hindus in England and Wales, at nine per cent, and the eighth highest percentage of Sikhs, who account for seven per cent.
Karandeep Singh, 30, is the head teacher of the Oadby Punjabi School, at the Guru Harkrishan Gurdwara, in Kenilworth Drive.
He said: "I've lived in other places, including London, and I've always found Oadby to be relaxed and warm when it comes to other cultures."
Karandeep teaches about 130 youngsters, aged between four and 17, at the bespoke Punjabi school, established two years ago.
"I've seen the Sikh population grow considerably since the school and the Gurdwara were set up," he said.
"It's no secret we live in one of the most multicultural places in the country, but it's not enough to just live within it. We really make an effort to go out into the community and integrate ourselves with others."
His friend, Raj Mann, from the Leicestershire Sikh Alliance, said: "The diversity in Leicestershire has really added a lot of value to the place. It's a crucible of liberal thought and bridge-building between communities.
"The balance is exactly right."
Oadby and Wigston is also notable for having the ninth highest population of Druids, thanks to the 10 who live there.
Wigston Fields ward councillor Bill Boulter said: "All Saints Church still has the Green Man looking down on the congregation from its roof, so there are still Pagan symbols about.
"I doubt that has anything to do with the current Druids, but it shows the influence is still here in Wigston."
Some 95 per cent of people who live in Leicestershire were born in Europe – four per cent higher than the rest of the country.
While 89 per cent of Leicestershire residents classed themselves as white British, that population is highest in Melton and North West Leicestershire, accounting for 95 per cent of the population in both areas. The next most significant ethnic group in Leicestershire, outside the city, is Asian and British Asian Indians, who make up four per cent of the county's population, compared with three per cent at the time of the last Census.
The county's Christian population has decreased by 14 per cent since 2001. However, it is still a belief held by the majority – 60 per cent of county residents.
Some 27 per cent of Leicestershire residents said they had no religious belief, an increase of 12 per cent since 2001, and one per cent were Muslim.
In July, when the first set of Census statistics were released, the Mercury reported the county population grew by 6.7 per cent from 609,600 in 2001 to 650,500 in 2011, which is about average growth for the UK.
Within that growth was an extra 20,000 people aged 65 and over. Nearly one in five county residents is aged over 65.