Channel: Leicester Mercury Latest Stories Feed
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 9894

Dementia sufferer 'left in agony' at George Hythe House care home in Beaumont Leys, court hears


An 89-year-old dementia sufferer was left in agony for four hours with a broken thigh because a care home supervisor could not be bothered to assess her, a jury heard.

Sarah Bewley was "too busy" doing paperwork to see the woman after she suffered a fall, despite several requests from a care assistant, it was claimed.

The 45-year-old team leader at George Hythe House, Croft Road, Beaumont Leys, went off duty telling staff a GP calling later that day to see another resident should also "look in" on the woman.

The alleged victim, who was unable to speak or communicate, screamed in agony when she was lifted from a wheelchair on to a bed and back into the chair during the morning.

Bewley, of Danehill, Ratby, denies willfully neglecting a person who lacks capacity on November 20, 2010.

Care assistant Gwen Martin said she responded to an alarm bell for assistance in wing five at the home at about 10.30am.

She found an agency care worker propping up the elderly woman, who was holding on to a railing, after she had been pushed over by another resident.

Mrs Martin said she fetched a wheelchair and took her into the lounge.

She said: "She was making different noises than she usually made.

"She couldn't tell me where it was hurting.

"I went to report it to the team leader for her to assess the situation to see if she needed a GP or hospital treatment.

"I wanted her to come and check to see if there were injuries."

She said the procedure at the time meant only team leaders could authorise medical help.

Mrs Martin alleged Bewley told her she was busy dealing with paperwork in relation to another patient who died that morning.

Mrs Martin said it was obvious the elderly woman was in agony by the way she was screaming out.

Two further requests for Bewley to attend allegedly went unheeded.

Under cross examination, she disagreed with a defence suggestion she failed to inform Bewley the alleged victim was in pain.

Jonathan Cox, prosecuting, said: "The defendant failed in her duties.

"She did it deliberately meaning not to assess her and turning a blind eye."

He said she had other things to do which she thought were more important than assessing the woman to determine if she needed a doctor.

Jill Lawrence, another care worker, said she noticed the woman's foot was twisted, indicating injury.

The procedure for summoning medical assistance has since changed, she said.

Leicester Crown Court was told the 89-year-old eventually obtained help and was taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary for an operation only because of the persistence of Catherine Wray, daughter of another resident.

She told the jury she asked Bewley to call a GP for her mother, who was dehydrated, on the same morning.

Bewley refused, saying she was "too busy" and told her to summon a doctor herself.

Mrs Wray said she saw the elderly woman being wheeled into a room at about 2.30pm.

She said: "She was screaming. She looked dreadful. She was so distressed it was unbelievable.

"I saw her foot was twisted the opposite way and I knew she had a fracture.

"I was angry seeing anyone like that, but also very angry because that could have been my mother.

"Sarah (Bewley) had gone off duty and another person had stepped in as team leader."

She said she told the new team leader she had "five minutes" to get a paramedic or she would call herself.

Mrs Wray said the elderly woman was screaming up until the paramedics' arrival.

The trial continues.

Dementia sufferer 'left in agony' at George Hythe House care home in Beaumont Leys, court hears

Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 9894

Latest Images

Trending Articles

Latest Images