Channel: Leicester Mercury Latest Stories Feed
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 9894

Horrific last moments of ex-Leicestershire police chief Toby Day who attacked his family


A sacked former police inspector strangled and stabbed his wife and six-year-old daughter before plunging a knife six times into his chest.

Toby Day, 37, punched his wife Samantha, 38, in the face before strangling her and stabbing her four times in the chest with a large kitchen knife.

He then strangled and stabbed their six-year-old daughter, Genevieve, before turning the knife on himself at the family's semi-detached home in Robin Crescent, Melton, on December 8 last year.

The tragedy happened a week after he was sacked by Leicestershire Police for gross misconduct.

An inquest in Loughborough yesterday recorded verdicts that the mother and daughter were unlawfully killed and that he had killed himself.

Mr Day's two elder children, Kimberley, 16, and 14-year-old Adam – who also suffered serious stab wounds in the attack by their father – listened to the evidence.

The inquest heard the alarm had first been raised by Kimberly, who, suffering from stab wounds to her neck, ran to nearby Swallowdale Primary School just after 4.20pm to raise the alarm.

Detective Inspector Mathew Healey, of the major crime unit of the East Midlands Special Operations Unit, said armed officers were then sent to the house in the belief that a potential siege may be under way.

He said police had reason to suspect that Toby Day might be emotionally or mentally disturbed and might have been armed with a knife.

Mrs Day's sister had told police there were three family members inside the home and attempts were made by officers to negotiate with those inside.

Armed officers forced entry into the property at 5.22pm after seeing movement at a downstairs window.

Adam, then 13, was found in a downstairs living room with a serious stab wound in his chest.

Toby, Samantha and Genevieve were found in a bedroom, the mother and daughter with serious injuries on the bed, and Toby lying on the floor holding a large kitchen knife.

The three children were taken to Nottingham's Queen's Medical Centre where Genevieve was pronounced dead at 6.35pm. Toby and Samantha died at the scene.

A second knife, recovered from a dishwasher, had Samantha's blood on it.

Det Insp Healey said Mr Day had been sacked by Leicestershire Police a week earlier.

He said that on the day of the tragedy, Mr Day had received a call from an unnamed Leicestershire Police Chief Superintendent at 2.21pm telling him the press had contacted them about his dismissal.

Det Insp Healey said: "At 3.59pm, the Chief Superintendent had a missed call from Toby. He called him back at 4.07pm to tell him the press had his name, but Leicestershire Police hadn't confirmed it. After a long pause he said 'thank you' and ended the call.

"He sent a text to his mother telling her the papers were going to run a story on his sacking."

He added that, at 4.15pm, a witness reported female screams coming from the house.

Home Office Pathologist Professor Guy Rutty said Samantha had died from strangulation and stab wounds.

He said: "She had other injuries, including to her left eye, suggestive of a punch.

"The stabbing occurred in close proximity to death, either when she was unconscious and dying or already dead."

He said Genevieve died from stab wounds, with strangulation by ligature a contributory factor. Toby Day had six self-inflicted stab wounds.

Coroner Trevor Kirkman said: "No one here or in the wider community could fail to have been touched by these tragic incidents. I offer my sincere condolences to the surviving children at the enormous loss you have suffered and to the wider family."

"There has been considerable support from within the wider community, the church, school and locally and it is support no doubt which will help you to continue your journey."

Cannon Lee Francis-Dehqani, Rural Dean of Rutland, said: "I have been conscious of the resilience of the family and their deep care for one another.

"Today's inquest is one more step in coming to terms with all that has happened."

Deputy Chief Constable Simon Edens, who has responsibility for professional standards at Leicestershire Police, said: "The events of last December were truly tragic, in every sense of the word. Our thoughts are very much with Adam, Kimberley and their family."

Horrific last moments of ex-Leicestershire police chief Toby Day who attacked his family

Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 9894

Latest Images

Trending Articles

Latest Images